Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Judging a book by its cover

The election is over, and has yielded the expected results: we have a Conservative minority government. No one is surprised, and most people are relieved - a majority would have been disappointing.

However, I must say that the thing I find most disturbing about the idea of Stephen Harper as my Prime Minister is that he just doesn't look the part. I cannot for the life of me imagine him talking to other world leaders or representing the country in any way - it's just an absurd image. Of course, I won't need to imagine it for long as it will happen, and perhaps he will even grow into the role. Time will tell...

In more pleasant news, the NDP seems poised to hold a decent amount of sway in the new government. I am very impressed with how well they did, and how many new seats they picked up. I am actually fairly hopeful that the NDP and the Liberals will be able to create an interesting balance in the house with the Conservative holding power only nominally. All in all, not a bad outcome. And oh so very Canadian!

1 comment:

Gawdessness said...

I like how you summed this all up and for the most part I agree with you.

Except, I'm just not sure that Mr. Harper will grow into the role.

I am also deeply interested in exactly what will happen with Stockwell Day.